Thursday, January 26, 2017

BOOKREVIEW: The Red Sun by Alane Adams


Welcome to my first ever blog book review!

Today I'm gonna talk about my thoughts on Alane Adam's first book of  the "Legends of Orkney" series!


If you don't know anything about this series, then here:

  • It's a middle grade series (like Percy Jackson)
  • It's based on Norse Mythology
  • It belongs to the genre of Fantasy
  • Goodreads:
After meeting a strange dwarf in his garage and finding out his substitute English teacher is a witch, twelve-year-old Sam Baron travels through a stonefire to the magical realm of Orkney where he finally learns the truth about his past: his mother is a witch and his father is a descendant of Norse god Odin.

So hang on tightly 'cause here comes the review: 

✨  "back to their pathetic life of grammar lessons and homework..."
   If even witches from another realm think this, then who are you to disagree? This is the reason why aliens will never visit us! (lol okay, now that that's out of the way, let's continue)
          
✨ General Thoughts: This book was absolutely amazing! It was sassy and hilarious and sad and adventurous with its dose of darkness to balance the funny parts out.


      ✨ First of all, I'd like to thank Ms Adams for sending me her book for review! This, however does not affect the way I reviewed and rated the book!
      ✨At first, everything was happening so quickly I couldn't even understand what was actually happening. I was so confused and also worried because I thought that this was gonna last for the entire book (fortunately, it didn't). 
          Side Note: Fast paced books are amazing, but you know, too fast can also be bad, because it often prevents the reader from getting to know the characters better and so we can not get attached to them easily.

✨ The book got better and better by each passing chapter. As I mentioned at the beginning, it was so fun and full of adventures! 
✨ Another good thing about this book is that the chapters are really short, so it's very convenient for anyone who has a lot of things to do, but would also like to sneak in reading a few pages once in a while!
✨The book was really educational too, because even though the author did mix real mythology (well as real as mythology can get lmao) with her imagination, anyone who hasn't got a clue about Norse Mythology got to learn a ton about it!
✨Even though this book belongs to the Middle Grade category, at some points it felt like a YA book. Now, I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing, but I personally did not mind!
✨My favourite character was Mavery! All of the characters were likeable, I mean sometimes Sam was too childish and annoying (so I had to remind myself that he's 12).
✨ I found really fascinating the way Odin was portrayed, and how Asgard was pictured!
✨I wanna see more of Sam's mother though, so I hope that we get to see more of her on book 2 (Kalifus Rising, is also out).

✨It did have some plot twists that were unpredictable!
✨Last thought: some parts of the book were sooo good I couldn't even put it down long enough to write my thoughts on my journal (yes, I keep a bookjournal lol).
✨Do I recommend this book? Of course and I do! 

✨Final Rating: 4.25/5 STARS! 

You can get The Red Sun and Kalifus Rising on bookdepository, amazon, B&N, kindle & ibooks!

The Raven God, Book3 in the Legends of Orkney series will be out by September 2017!



Stay tuned for more reviews and blog posts! 
    Hint: There's a giveaway coming soon so watch out!!







Extra Credits: First and 1st to last photos were borrowed from Alane Adam's own website! The rest were taken from my personal IG account: @stefansbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment