First of all, I'm so sorry for disappearing! I was just a bit more busy than I usually am, because I was hosting another super fun #stefansreadalong and there's also a giveaway I'm hosting on instagram for my next #stefansreadalong so make sure to join! Any way, I'm back now with another SUPER review for another SUPER novel named I Want Superpowers, which is by Steven Bereznai! This review is non-spoiler, but it will include a mini section with some of the plot twists I did not see coming (so spoilers, duhhh), but it will be labelled "Spoiler Section blah blah", *still haven't decided how to call it, oops*!
If you don't know anything about I Want Superpowers:
- It's a YA Dystopian book, hopefully to be expanded and become a series.
- Highly recommended to fans of comics and super heroes! I'm not a huge fan of comics, but this book made me want to buy them all and read them haha!
- Reminds me a lot of The Hunger Games and Divergent. Specially the beginning with all the dress and styling scenes, but afterwards the book follows its own unique path.
- It's action packed and super-fast paced from the beginning!
- It's really cool how this feels like sci-fi and dystopian. I've read a lot of dystopian books, but none like this one. Like, this is supposed to be XMen with The Hunger Games, but I can't confirm about the XMen part since I haven't watched it (well, except cartoons, I think) *I know, shoot me*.
- Interesting fact: our main instead of not wanting to join the "enemy", actually wants to join them, so wow.
✨ Before we start the review, I'd liket to thank Mr Steven for providing me with a SIGNED first edition of his book! I trully appreciate this and I'm extra grateful!
✨ Fisrt of all: NO, this is not cheesy at all! YES, the title sounds like it, but once you read the actual book, you'll find the hidden meaning behind the title!
✨ I've already spoken of the beginning, so let's continue with the rest of the plot. I really like how realistic the book was, and how the teacher was portrayed as a mean lady, who only cares for her image, because let's face it: that's how people act in real life too. Also, Liliane's character as the rival of our main character was kind of predictable, but still good.
✨ The characters were cool most of the time (MINOR SPOILER: well except Trenton, who got weird but okayyy). I say most of the time, because sometimes they just felt flat. Like there was nothing going on and it just felt awkward and weird. Also, they were taking kind of reckless decissions when there was no reason at all.
✨ The ending was really satisfying, but as I've said: I need the sequel to answer my questions haha!
✨Overall, I did enjoy the book, and the small flaws I've pointed out are, as I've said, really minor, but they might seem a bit bigger right now because of my explanation of them.
✨ I definitely recommend this book. It's a great choice if you're looking for something fresh in the dystopian genre! Specially if you love comics, superheroes, action, quick-reads and... PLOT TWISTS!
✨ Final Rating: 4.5/5s.
✨Wow, Eel Man turned out to be with the resistance, which I did not see coming (I think I should have, but I probably was so sucked in the main story, and so my brain did not have time to predict things lol).
✨And Liliane?! I didn't see that coming either! Omg just wow!